The longer you leave the casserole uncovered, the crispier the top will become.
Red Wine Vinegar
View recipe in app to see recipe nutrition (find app below).
- Wash and cut your eggplant and zucchini so that they all have a similar size and shape.
- Finely chop your basil, garlic and onion.
- Boil barley according to instructions on package. Save about a 1/4 cup of the starchy water when draining.
- Toast walnuts on a hot and dry pan for a few minutes. Then remove from pan and set aside to use as a topping later.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic and onion, chili powder and oregano and fry at lower temperature for several minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add Eggplant and Zucchini to your pan and fry for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Mix balsamic vinegar, canned tomatoes and red wine vinegar together in a bowl, then pour into your pan.
- Add your starchy water to the frying pan and bring to a boil to thicken the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked barley to your pan and mix evenly.
- Spread your ingredients evenly into a casserole dish.
- Cover your casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Uncover for the last 10 minutes.
- Add Basil and Walnuts on top.